Fwd: Suggestions for book, svn 1.2

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Wed Oct 12 08:21:07 CDT 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Collins-Sussman <sussman at red-bean.com>
Date: Oct 12, 2005 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: Suggestions for book, svn 1.2
To: "K. L. Estes" <klestes at gmail.com>

On 10/11/05, K. L. Estes <klestes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just off the top of my head, here are two things I would *love* to have in
> your really excellent book:
>

>  1.  Best practice (or at least a good suggestion) of what to do when your
> 'svn switch' fails due to 'locally modified files'.

You're acting like this is a normal thing that needs to be documented,
yet I know of no such behavior.  Why don't you report a bug-recipe to
the users@ or dev@ list instead?

>  2.  svn revert' doesn't work with everything.  For example 'svn rename
> a.txt b.txt' and then try reverting it.
>  In fact, directories are still treated as second class in respect to this
> command.

Huh?  An 'svn rename' is exactly the same as running 'svn copy' and
'svn delete'.  When you revert these changes, you get exactly what is
expected:  the deleted thing comes back, and the added thing is no
longer scheduled for addition.  Maybe you can explain what you're
seeing a bit more.