SVN book errata

Daniel Shahaf d.s at daniel.shahaf.name
Thu Feb 28 13:36:29 CST 2013

C. Michael Pilato wrote on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 15:15:39 -0500:
> On 02/04/2013 07:11 AM, IJff, E.G. wrote:
> >
> > L.S.,
> >

> > Reading the svn-book 1.7 I found the following lay out flaws (up to chap.
> > 2, an still reading).
> >
> > First you will find the text in the book, then my remark.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Bert
> >

> Bert,
>
> Thanks for the reportNearly all of this is stuff we know about -- and which
> largely is outside our decided ability to control.  This book is written in
> DocBook XML, translated into FO and then ultimately into the PDF version you
> read by tooling.  Sometimes, the tooling does stuff wrong.  That's what
> you're seeing.  It's ugly, at times, but we're pretty disinterested in
> micro-managing the appearance of the PDF.  Our focus is on content.  If the
> rendering issues are a roadblock to your parsing the book content, though,
> perhaps reading the HTML version would work better for you?

And as to the actual problem with the PDF version, I suspect the best
course of action would be to improve that tooling.  (I'm not familiar
with the particular toolchain, but "Don't add a pagebreak between header
and headered-thing" is something I as a user expect the toolchain to be
doing by default.)

Daniel
(maybe TeX has spoiled me...)