[svnbook] r4387 committed - Finish issue 65 ("Please talk about the cases where a true DVCS like...

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Mon Feb 4 13:32:43 CST 2013

On 02/04/2013 01:56 PM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> C. Michael Pilato wrote on Mon, Feb 04, 2013 at 10:38:38 -0500:
>> Hrm, I think "add" doesn't make sense in this context, because when
>> working outside of version control, there is no "add" action you can take
>> on files/dirs. And the things we might think of as "adding" -- creating
>> new files and directories. Well, you really can still do that stuff the
>> same way even when there's VC involved.
> But it's not the same way:
>
> Without VC:  touch foo.c
>
> With VC: touch foo.c && svn add foo.c

The point of this section is the changes to pre-existing behaviors
necessitated by the introduction of VC.  Introducing a version control
system doesn't change the way you "add files" because there's no such
concept outside of VC.  And it doesn't change the way you create files at
all.  (Might just have to ask you to trust me on this on.)

>> Ehh... I know what you're getting at, but it feels a step too far into
>> the advanced user space. Remember, the folks who bother/need to read this
>> section are probably pretty green when it comes to version control.
> Fair enough.  Would it make more sense to mention that workflow in a
> later chapter?  (or as a "dangerous bend" (i.e., "Advanced" box) in the
> current chapter?)

/Version Control With Subversion/ is about Subversion, and intentionally
doesn't discuss the gazillion different tangentially related software
projects in the greater Subversion ecosystem.  IMO, the topic is out of
scope for the preface and first two chapters of the book, for sure.  That
said, I could see mentioning it later in the text if doing so serves the
primary goal of helping folks be more successful /with Subversion/.  As mere
informational fodder, I'm disinterested.  But, for example, if git-svn is
known to improve the handling of renames or merging or something else over
what stock Subversion can offer, that could be of sufficient value.