Issue 66 in svnbook: svnadmin create example in Ch 2 "svn import" section results in "Repository creation failed" error

svnbook at googlecode.com svnbook at googlecode.com
Wed Nov 25 13:28:33 CST 2009

Comment #2 on issue 66 by zjo... at gmail.com: svnadmin create example in Ch
2 "svn import" section results in "Repository creation failed" error
http://code.google.com/p/svnbook/issues/detail?id=66

Adding the mkdir is partly what I was thinking about since at the time it
appeared to me that it was
necessary.

Since then I retried the svnadmin create on a newer/clean OS X 10.6(.2)
install and found that (1) it still didn't
work with /var/svn/newrepos ... apparently a permissions problem. HOWEVER,
the subdirs were created when
I did it in my home (~) directory and circumvented the permissions problem.
So ... I'm not sure I have a
question any longer.

I guess why I thought it was worth taking a 2'nd look at was because it
seems so straight forward, yet it
didn't work. Many of the other examples have subtle dependencies which
imply that I couldn't just cut'n paste
and expect them to work. This one, not so much.

I'm puzzled why the repository is created in /var in the example. Is this
something that is "obvious" to anyone
who works with a 'nix based OS? I don't have that type of a background.

Why is /var a good choice? Probably this is discussed later in the book. If
so, then maybe a pointer or nod
towards that future discussion so people who are confused could jump ahead?

Just my not quite 2 cents,

-irrational john