ch 2: "svn import" for more than just initial import?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jun 16 09:14:31 CDT 2009

On Jun 16, 2009, at 3:06 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>  i'm pretty sure i recently verified this, but "svn import" can be
>> used at any time to add new content to a repository, can it not?  i
>> realize it's not *frequently* used that way, but it's still
>> possible, yes?
>>
>>  the beginning of ch 2 gives the impression that it's great for an
>> initial import into a new repository, but doesn't mention that it
>> can be used more than once.  is that worth pointing out?
>
>  eh, maybe what's there is already fairly clear.  i can read about
> "svn import":
>
> "You typically use this when you have an existing tree of files that
> you want to begin tracking in your Subversion repository."
>
> but maybe it's worth just extending that sentence to clarify its
> availability later on.  just my $0.02 since, the first time i read
> that so long ago, my first impression was that it was used
> *exclusively* for initially populating a repository and that was it.

I don't like the use of import much because there's no way to correct
a mistake if you forgot to remove a file you didn't want to import or
you picked the wrong URL to import to.  I much prefer using svn add
into an empty folder and then committing.  So not mentioning import is
in my mind better.

Regards,
Blair

--