1.5 book issues

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Wed Jun 11 13:53:41 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Eric Gillespie <epg at pretzelnet.org> wrote:
> - http://svnbook.red-bean.com/trac/ticket/114 says the dav
>  logging has been updated, and r3097 appears to do that but what
>  i can actually read on svnbook.r.c seems outdated

This copy of the book was built last night, does it still look outdated?

  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.ref.mod_dav_svn.conf.html#svn.ref.mod_dav_svn.conf.logging

> - svnserve sasl section refers to both subversion.conf and
>  svn.conf; only svn.conf is correct

Weird, I *swear* I got the subversion.conf from notes/sasl.txt, but
maybe that sasl.txt document was updated.  In any case, I've fixed
this now.

> - I notice this in the merge section, but it may be elsewhere:
>
>  in the example boxes, it's "-c" and "-m" (short options).
>  at least one paragraph talks about --revision and --change, though.
>
>  some long options are common, sure, but i can't believe anyone
>  types --revision or --change
>
>  it's inconsistent, regardless

Actually, we're perfectly consistent in regards to our own style rules:

"
    - By default, identify an option by *both* its long and
      short name in the prose, e.g. "use the --revision (-r) option to
      do blah..."

    - For examples (those in <screen> tags, as we as those embedded in
      the prose with <command> tags), use the short version, so as to
      be more realistic and get users comfortable with the
      abbreviations.

"