[svnbook commit] r3235 - trunk/src/en/book

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Tue Aug 5 19:17:34 CDT 2008

Øyvind A. Holm wrote:
> On 2008-08-04 13:24:34 C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>> fitz wrote:
>>> I didn't reflow any of the paragraphs that I edited, and I have to
>>> say--it almost killed me.  M-q is as much of a reflex for me as
>>> blinking my eye when someone is trying to poke their finger in it.
>> Oh, man.  I know *exactly* how you feel.  It's especially bad when you
>> see that you're creating lines of 90, 100, 120 character in length ...
>> GAAAAH!
>
> Why not use flowed text? Wrapped lines are terminated by a space — Vim
> uses it when adding "w" to formatoptions, and I'm sure Emacs has it too.
> Then place each sentence on a new line. This avoids rewrapping the whole
> paragraph, the reformatting is limited to the changed sentence only.

Ordinarily we don't care about rewrapping.  It's just that right now I'm
having to port changes between our tree and O'Reilly's production
repository, and unnecessary wrapping complicates things.  Once the VCWS2e
production process is complete, Fitz and I can let our reflexes out of the
cage again.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
  been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton