Chapter 7: svn:ignore

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Sat Aug 12 10:30:09 CDT 2006

Hello, Ben,

Saturday, August 12, 2006, 5:16:00 PM Ben wrote:

BCS> But from years of #svn and users@ experience, let me say that this is
BCS> one of the top-5-all-time newbie confusions:  everyone thinks that
BCS> svn:ignore means "this versioned thing won't get committed".

Exactly! It took me a while (since SVN is the very first version
control system I ever used) to understand why things didn't work as I
expected.

BCS> I think we need to make the book section more like the FAQ, and
BCS> say *right* at the beginning that it only affects unversioned
BCS> files.

I think that's a great idea. By the way, that makes me think that
perhaps svn:ignore should be covered in a bit more detail (perhaps an
example, where a valiant web developer does

svn mv config.php config.php.default

and

svn ps svn:ignore "config.php" .

to solve the "local wc config file" problem). After all, who ever use
those "copyright" and friends, while svn:ignore is an every-project
necessity.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

--
Sincerely yours,