Confused by the quickstart example

Joachim Ziegler ziegler at mpi-sb.mpg.de
Mon Jul 11 11:32:37 CDT 2005

Hello,

just to give you some feedback:

I've just read and played with the quickstart example, and I was quite
confused by the way you use the term 'project' and the corresponding
folder of the same name in this example.

Especially in the checkout command

$ svn checkout file:///path/to/repos/trunk project

it took me a long time to understand the connection between 'project'
and 'trunk'.

The example, as given in the book, completely forgets about the project
folder called 'project' (which, anyway, is IMHO not a good name to use
in an example, see below).

What I did not get here is that the 'project' folder used in the
checkout is just an arbitrary name, which happens by chance to be the
same name as in the import.

I expected to read something like

$svn checkout file:///path/to/repos/myProject/trunk sandbox/myProject/trunk

and, before, an import like

svn import /tmp/test/myProject/ file:///path/to/repos/myProject -m
"initial import"

That way, it becomes much clearer the repository holds several
'projects', all with their trunks, branches, and tags in them, and that
you can checkout to wherever you want.

Moreover, 'project' is not a good name, because it is too general in
this example. Why don't you call it 'myProject' at least? Or better use
a concrete example: 'Editor', 'Calculator', ...

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Ziegler                       Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85
Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik    66123 Saarbrücken, Germany