Stability of book URLs
Brian W. Fitzpatrick
fitz at red-bean.com
Thu Apr 21 08:18:58 CDT 2005
On Apr 20, 2005, at 11:55 PM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
> Currently, URLs to parts of the book suffer from a stability problem.
> If we add or delete sections (or worse, chapters!), then many URLs
> pointing to specific sections will be broken.
> To fix this, I propose the following:
> Step 1: Enable the parameter "use.id.as.filename"
> This will cause each file produced in the chunked HTML to take a name
> based on the id attribute of the XML element which caused the chunk,
> instead of the plain sequential system used currently.
> Step 2: Migrate the values of id attributes away from the primarily
> numerical system in use now, instead using descriptive names.
> To quote something I've been hearing around the Chicago office lately
> (but whose source I do not know):
> "I’m intrigued by your ideas, and would like to subscribe to your
It's from The Simpsons, quoted by Homer
> I would like to get clearance from O'Reilly on this, first, though.
> We used that scheme because it was described as The Way To Do It
> (nevermind it was always a pain in the buttocks...).
Ooooh. I totally misread Max's #2. I think that we may need to stick
with the current id names (or as Max points out in a later mail, make
them more conformant.
More information about the svnbook-dev