'The Three Meanings of "Lock"' += svn:sync-lock ?

Pavel Lyalyakin pavel.lyalyakin at visualsvn.com
Thu Mar 17 10:36:53 CDT 2016

Hello,

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Daniel Shahaf <danielsh at apache.org> wrote:

> Concerning the 'The Three Meanings of "Lock"' box:
> .
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.locking.html#svn.advanced.locking.meanings
> .
> Should that box mention svnsync locks as well?
>
> (These are the svn_ra__get_operational_lock() locks that svnsync takes
> using the svn:sync-lock revprop, exposed in the UI through the
> --disable-locks/--steal-lock options to 'svnsync sync'.  Note 'svnrdump
> load' also uses this kind of operational lock.)

I doubt that the revprop-based lock `svnsync` or `svnrdump` places is worth
mentioning in the 'The Three Meanings of "Lock"' section.

`svnsync` and `svnrdump` place `svn:sync-lock` and `svn:rdump-lock`
revprops to revision 0 and it's an implementation detail, not a real
concept. It's just how it works in Subversion 1.9 and older versions.
Thinking about it, this could easily change in the future, should `svnsync`
or `svnrdump` stop placing such kind of locks.

IMO, the section describes the 3 basic locks like administrative and
database and it should not contain maintenance revprop-based locks at all.
However, I think that the "Third, there are database locks, used internally
by the Berkeley DB..." part could be updated since Berkeley DB is
deprecated starting with SVN 1.9".

--
With best regards,
Pavel Lyalyakin