Farewell to Google Code ... now where?

Stefan Sperling stsp at elego.de
Fri Mar 13 15:09:26 CDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 03:04:00PM -0400, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> Google announced yesterday that it is shutting down its Google Code
> project hosting service[1].  Per the scheduled sunset, on August 24,
> 2015 the site -- and with it, the Subversion Book development
> repositories -- will go read-only.  That means we have a decision to
> make about where to relocate our project hosting.
>
> In the interest of straight shooting, let's just say it:  GitHub has won
> the project hosting battle.  So it is my recommendation that we begin
> the process of migrating the svnbook repository and issue tracking to
> GitHub.  Google has even made this process pretty easy with a
> semi-automated GitHub migration tool (that I've now used for three of my
> personal projects).
>
> I'll certainly entertain other ideas, if only to see if in 2015 there
> /are/ actually any other valid ideas.  Given that there are only about
> three people who ever commit to this repository, I'm not expecting waves
> of feedback.  That's fine.  Just wanna get this out there for any
> discussion that may need to happen.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -- Mike
>
> [1]
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.nl/2015/03/farewell-to-google-code.html

Github is ok with me. Since it supports SVN we don't even need to use git :)

Going back to red-bean is not an option?
I suspect you simply don't want to deal with the admin side of things?

We could ask assembla for free hosting of the svn repository and issue tracking.
They might be happy to host us.

I could host the book's SVN repository at in-berlin.de (a non-profit ISP
based in Berlin), on the same server as svn.dslinux.org.
SSH access for committers is possible.
I'm already hosting a backup build of the book there: http://stsp.name/svnbook/
For issues, we'd need something else, though.