[svnbook] r4314 committed - For issue 5 ("Document svnmucc"), add a section to Chapter 3 about...

Daniel Shahaf d.s at daniel.shahaf.name
Wed Jan 16 07:23:34 CST 2013

C. Michael Pilato wrote on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 08:13:27 -0500:
> On 01/16/2013 12:37 AM, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > svnbook at googlecode.com wrote on Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:26:42 +0000:
> >> Revision: 4314
> >> Author:   cmpilato at gmail.com
> >> Date:     Tue Jan 15 16:26:34 2013
> >> Log:      For issue 5 ("Document svnmucc"), add a section to Chapter 3 about
> >> working-copy-less operations, and use it to introduce svnmucc.  Then,
> >> stub out a section in the Chapter 9 Reference to cover this tool in
> >> detail.
> >>
> >> * en/book/ch03-advanced-topics.xml
> >>   (svn.advanced.working-without-a-wc): New section.
> > Should this section mention the race conditions inherent to
> > working on URLs (with either svn or svnmucc) --- i.e., the option to
> > specify the edit's base revision explicitly?
>
> I hadn't yet decided whether to put that into this section or into the
> reference matter.  Since I (intentionally) didn't go into details on the
> relevant subcommands (put, propset[f], propdel), it seemed odd to mention
> the race condition here.  But then again, the race is the very reason why
> 'svn' doesn't offer this functionality itself, so maybe it bears spelling
> out here and repeating in the reference chapter.  What do you think?

I think it's worth mentioning it, as it's fundamental to how URL
operations work and is easy to miss (svnmucc won't error out if you
don't pass a -r option).  If you feel it's advanced, it could go in an
infobox / warningbox.

I agree there's no need to enumerate svnmucc's subcommands action verbs
(not 'subcommands', since more than one can be specified) in ch03, but
it'd be useful to say that _any_ commit --- tree modification --- that
can be done in Subversion, can be done via svnmucc.