Missing a vector

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Wed Nov 24 16:29:29 CST 2010

C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 10:01 AM, Bob McConnell wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I have just begun reading the book online, and found there is no obvious
>> entry path suggestion for my case. In "How to Read This Book", there are
>> several suggested paths, but none for the new administrator. The
>> individual I am talking about has several years experience using several
>> different version control systems at work, but none as an administrator.
>> In my case that would span TLIB, PVCS, and currently Perforce. But with
>> no experience as an administrator, I am somewhat at a loss where to
>> begin configuring a server for my home network. I don't believe this is
>> an uncommon situation.
>
> [...]
>
>> I have already installed subversion 1.6.11 on Slackware/64 13.1 using
>> the normal tool (slackpkg). So where should I start?
>
> Bob, I think you'll find that setting up a Subversion server is pretty
> simple.  In our "How to Read This Book" section, we probably scare some
> folks off by lumping Subversion admin in with "experienced system
> administration".  Honestly, there's not a whole lot to setting up a
> Subversion server.  You'll need some basic comfort level with editing
> configuration files and such.  Also, it's an unfortunate fact that nothing
> in the book will be able to speak specifically about the finer details of
> Slackware's (or anyone else's) particular Subversion distribution.  You'll
> need to consult other sources of distro-specific information for that kind
> of stuff.
>
> I recommend that you check out Chapters 5 ("Repository Administration") and
> 6 ("Server Configuration") as a starting point, and ask questions of the
> Internet if you find a recommendation or instruction therein that could
> stand to be reworded for maximum audience coverage.  (And then, of course,
> tell us about it too!)

Good, then I got off on the right tact, I have already started reading
chapter 5. Since Slackware has been my primary distribution for 17 years
now, I am quite comfortable editing config files. But I get very
frustrated with the way other distributions have fiddled with the
directory layouts and hide those config files in very inconvenient and
difficult to deduce locations. I have to work with both FreeBSD and
CentOS at work, and it's impossible to keep track of everything without
a scorecard.

I will let you know if I have any problems following the manual.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP