svnadmin pack documentation

Hyrum K. Wright hyrum_wright at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 30 19:51:40 CDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:39:13AM +0200, Neels Janosch Hofmeyr wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> it appears that `svnadmin pack' is practically not documented at
>> all. The
>> nightly book has nothing on it, and all that the commandline help
>> says is:
>>
>> [[[
>> $ svnadmin help pack
>> pack: usage: svnadmin pack REPOS_PATH
>>
>> Possibly compact the repository into a more efficient storage model.
>> This may not apply to all repositories, in which case, exit.
>> ]]]
>>
>> Not exactly helpful, is it.
>>
>> We at elego are busy advertising this new feature, but I find
>> myself unable
>> to provide any proper pointer. I don't really know too much about
>> it, but I
>> could try to cook up some makeshifty book entry for so long.
>>
>> Is anyone else on this?
>
> See this thread for all the gory details:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=104301

Properly documenting "pack" has been on my stack for a while, but has
been pushed down due to other priorities (read "wc-ng").  I'd still
like to do a write up for the book, but don't know when I'll have the
chance to get around to it.  I'm happy to provide information and
answers to help somebody else do so, though.

Neels, what's your timetable for wanting/needing proper documentation?

-Hyrum