multimethod fsfs repository

Ryan Schmidt subversion-2008a at ryandesign.com
Thu Mar 6 23:44:08 CST 2008

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.serverconfig.multimethod.html

twice mentions the Berkeley database. I assume this is leftover from
a time when Subversion had no other backend? I believe this chapter
also applies to FSFS repositories. If that's true then it should not
mention BerkeleyDB unless what's being mentioned is specific to
BerkeleyDB repositories. In particular I would assume that the first
mention ("Does every process (or user) in the previous list have the
rights to read and write the Berkeley DB files?") is generic to any
kind of repository. (Should read "Does every process (or user) in the
previous list have the rights to read and write the repository
files?") And that the second reference ("As a repository is used,
Berkeley DB occasionally creates new log files to journal its
actions.") is BerkeleyDB-specific since FSFS repositories do not have
a journal, and this should be rewritten to account for the
possibility of FSFS repositories. (Should read "If your repository
uses Berkeley DB, as it is used, new log files are occasionally
created to journal its actions.")