[REVIEW] Chapter 9 : --recursive Option

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Jun 20 22:52:31 CDT 2008

Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've thought a little bit about the "-R [--recursive]" option.
>
> If the above option will be left in the commands, i think it is needed
> to mention them in all areas for the particular commands...
>
> svn revert -R
>
> is much shorter than "svn revert --depth=infinity"...
>
> I would appreciate to have the "-R" shortage for command like svn revert...

Yes, the community decided *not* to deprecate -R for exactly this reason --
it's way easier to type "-R" than "--depth infinity".  I'll re-add -R to the
reference descriptions of the 10 subcommands which accept it.

$ for i in `svn help | grep '^   [a-z]' | cut -f 4 -d ' '`; do \
     svn help ${i} | grep '\-\-recursive' > /dev/null && echo ${i}; \
     done
changelist
info
list
propdel
propget
proplist
propset
resolve
resolved
revert
$

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
  been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton