[REVIEW] Ch4. Branching and Merging - Advanced Merging

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Sun Jun 15 15:06:41 CDT 2008

Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:14 PM, C. Michael Pilato
> <cmpilato at red-bean.com> wrote:
>
>> To that end, a sidebar about some of the things folks might see (such as
>> copy/move creating mergeinfo, mergeinfo appearing on files that weren't
>> really touched, a glossed-over explanation of elision) would be a great
>> thing -- it helps them know they aren't seeing bugs or using the tool
>> incorrectly.  And if the sidebar also helps folks learn best-practices for
>> avoiding the nastier situations, double bonus!
>
> Mike, maybe you want to write this sidebar?  Honestly, because I've
> not been working on merge-tracking, I don't *know* what the common
> quirks/problems are.

Heh, I suspect Paul is the only person with the full requisite knowledge
here.  I wouldn't even try to compose the sidebar from scratch myself -- I'd
be summarizing his article[1] on the topic, instead.  I assumed you'd do the
same, but you can reassign the Trac ticket my way if you need to.

[1] http://www.collab.net/community/subversion/articles/merge-info.html

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com> | http://cmpilato.blogspot.com/

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
  been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton