[REVIEW] Chapter 9 : svn blame Command (Questions / Suggestions)

Karl Heinz Marbaise khmarbaise at gmx.de
Wed Jun 18 01:13:59 CDT 2008

Hi,

I've got a little suggestion about the svn blame command.

I have used blame sometimes and made the experience that it can be used
to examine the information about how many lines have been changed by a
particular person:

svnsles9:/home/kama/testvc/book-trunk # svn blame button.c
     4       kama int main (int argc, char **argv) {
     5       kama       printf("Test");
     4       kama       return 0;
     4       kama }
svnsles9:/home/kama/testvc/book-trunk # svn blame
file:///home/kama/testvc/book/trunk/button.c -r 5:5
     -          - int main (int argc, char **argv) {
     5       kama       printf("Test");
     -          -       return 0;
     -          - }
svnsles9:/home/kama/testvc/book-trunk # svn blame
file:///home/kama/testvc/book/trunk/button.c -r 4:4
     4       kama int main (int argc, char **argv) {
     4       kama       return 0;
     4       kama }
svnsles9:/home/kama/testvc/book-trunk #

The first execution will give you an overview of which line is changed
in which revision by whome..
The second execution will give you detailed information which lines had
been changed in a particular revision...
The thirs will do the same...

This can be used to create some kind of statistics....(like statsvn do)...
May be it should be put some more information about the command into the
book...only the blame in relationship with "-g" option is mentioned but
the other opportunities are not mentioned (in particular the second
execution)...may be they should be part of the reference section....

And now I have a question: Why is the line contents not part of the xml
output as in the lines above ?

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
--
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579