Book suggestion: mention the ssh ControlMaster feature

Wim Lewis wiml at hhhh.org
Wed Jul 2 02:08:26 CDT 2008

Chapter 6 (in svn.serverconfig.svnserve.sshauth) mentions a few ways
to avoid the repeated prompting for passwords/passphrases/etc..

Some versions of ssh support a "ControlMaster" feature which lets you
multiplex multiple shell connections over one SSH connection (along
with the usual port-forwarding, X11, and authentication agent
connections). Connections after the first not only don't need to
prompt for a pass{word,phrase}, they also don't have to set up the
SSH connection itself, which on a high-latency link can save a bit of
time. I've been using this with svn for a while --- it complements
the other auth. caching techniques well, but is also pretty handy by
itself.

Anyway, since the book already talks about ssh strategies in some
detail, I think it would be reasonable to have a couple of sentences
pointing potentially interested users to the ControlMaster feature.

type: enhancement; priority: minor. :)

(I don't subscribe to the svnbook-dev list but I'll check the
archives in a bit in case there's discussion.)

Wim Lewis / wiml at hhhh.org