Changelist analogy confusing

James Kistruck James.Kistruck at dataconnection.com
Thu Aug 14 09:02:30 CDT 2008

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have a patch for this - I'm just getting started with
SVN.

I find Gmail tags a confusing analogy for changelists (Ch.3).  The whole
point of tags (over folders) is that you can have a 1:M mapping between
content and groupings.  One piece of content can be a member of many
groups, through its set of tags.

Changelists don't allow that.. They enforce a 1:1 mapping between
content and groupings, so that a given piece of content (file) exists in
at most one group (changelist).  This is exactly like a directory
hierarchy, or the "files and folders paradigm" that Ch.3 suggests has
been surpassed by changelists.

A more helpful analogy might be that of separating music tracks into
genres.  Any given track can be a member of only one genre (in most
virtual jukeboxes, if not in real life!), but there is no implicit
ordering of genres.  You can view your tracks by genre, but that doesn't
prevent you viewing them in another way (say by artist).

James.