Fwd: [Svnbook v1.3] : Suggestion on wording / phrasing

C. Michael Pilato cmpilato at red-bean.com
Fri Jan 5 09:55:37 CST 2007

Ramanathan Muthaiah wrote:
> Starting at line 6, I quote from the book,
>
> You need to use the propdel command to delete properties altogether. . .
>
> Suggestion:
> ----------------
>
> Shouldn't this be re-phrased as, either,
>
> You need to use the svn propdel command to delete the value of
> properties altogether. . .
>
> OR
>
> You need to use the propdel sub-command to delete the value of properties. . .

So, that's exactly the point.  propdel doesn't delete just the value --
it removes the property entirely.  In fact, there is no such thing as a
Subversion property that has no value.  You either both name and
(possibly empty) value, or you have neither.

I did change the text to say "propdel subcommand", though (instead of
"propdel command", which was inconsistent with other surrounding text).

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato at red-bean.com>

"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting.  It has
 been found difficult; and left untried."  -- G. K. Chesterton