[svnbook commit] r2657 - trunk/src/en/book

Ben Collins-Sussman sussman at red-bean.com
Tue Feb 6 00:09:00 CST 2007

On 2/5/07, cmpilato <noreply at red-bean.com> wrote:

> * src/en/book/ch-advanced-topics.xml
>   (Network Model): Rework to be ... Pilatoan, and revert the changes
>     to the section IDs made when moving this section from the Server
>     Configuration chapter.  (It was rather the point of using such IDs
>     to allow us to move sections around without breaking URLs in our
>     HTML forms of the book.)

So uh, yeah, we *could* move sections around without breaking
things... which is nice.   But if it's trivial to rename them, why not
do so?  I only had to tweak 3 references.  Isn't that better?  Does it
really make sense to have a bunch of sections named "svn.serverconfig"
in a chapter full of "svn.advanced" sections?

I have no sympathy for people making permalinks to a moving-target
nightly build of the book's trunk.  Ayita can eat my shorts.

>      <para>At some point, you're going to need to understand how your
>        Subversion client communicates with its server.  Subversion's
> -      networking layer is abstracted, meaning that the Subversion
> -      client exhibits the same general behaviors no matter what sort
> -      of server it speaks with.  Whether it's talking to Apache
> -      via <literal>http://</literal> or
> -      it responds to authentication challenges in the same ways, and
> -      even caches your login name and password for you.  This section
> -      discusses these behaviors and shows you how to manage them to
> -      your liking.</para>
> +      networking layer is abstracted, meaning that Subversion clients
> +      exhibit the same general behaviors no matter what sort of server
> +      they are operating against.  Whether speaking the HTTP protocol
> +      (<literal>http://</literal>) with the Apache HTTP Server or
> +      speaking the custom Subversion protocol
> +      the basic network model is the same.  In this section, we'll
> +      explain the basics of that network model, including how
> +      Subversion manages authentication and authorization
> +      matters.</para>

So, um, this section only talks about how authentication works, and
how client-side credential caching works.  Authorization isn't part of
it at all.

Also, I think it's a tad awkward to say "the basic network model", and
then in the next immediate sentence say "the basics of that network
model".  Too repetitive.