Chapter 7: svn:ignore

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Aug 11 14:45:01 CDT 2006

Hello, list.

I am an SVN newbie and probably my feedback on the book as a
first-read resource would make some sense.

I feel that the svn:ignore option should be explained a bit more
clearly. Notably I've got a wrong impression that I can use it to
exclude a file in a wc from the version control even if it is already
in the repository. I have bothered people on #svn with this stupid
question and was eventually given a link:

http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit

Sure I have read the FAQ BEFORE reading the book but of course I
forgot about it AFTER ;-)

Then, another misunderstanding was that I though I could put entries
like

includes/settings.php

in the property which was a wrong assumption and I've got it right on
the channel.

Thus I think that

1) Including this (very important) FAQ item right into the book will
make it clear for other beginners and

2) It should be noted specifically that not only it's not recursive,
but it won't work on the entries like above.

Tried to post a trac issue ticket, but it seems that I should rather
use the list.

Thank you everybody for this great SCM and documentation!

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev